Saturday, September 21, 2013

Transferring all contacts from BlackBerry to Android Galaxy Phone

Yesterday, I was attempting to switch over from my Blackberry, to a Samsung Galaxy S, and spent quite some time figuring out.

There are many links on the internet. Finally here is what I did:

1. Bluetooth Option: I tried pairing my galaxy with blackberry in bluetooth. The pairing was successful. Then in bluetooth menu of Blackberry itself, when you select a bluetooth device, you will find an option saying "Transfer Contacts". I did that, and BB said -- 400 Contacts Transferred, but the Galaxy only added the FIRST contact! So basically, this method did not work for me :(

2. Using BlackBerry Desktop Software (for Mac):

  • I chose to "Sync Contacts" with Computer. There it gave me a warning, that this is the first time you are syncing contacts what should it do. I chose "MERGE", since I didn't anyways have any contacts on my Mac. 
  • After this, when I typed "Address Book" in my SpotLight, I saw all my Contacts had been successfully imported into my Local Address Book of Mac.
  • In Address Book preferences, if you select "Local On My Mac", there was an option for syncing Address book with Google Account. I gave it credentials of a new Gmail account I have created solely for Contact syncing with my android. Once I did that, all my contacts were sent to GMAIL. Then I unchecked the Gmail sync option from AddressBook since I didn't want any more sync to happen. 
  • I registered that particular GMAIL account in my Android (in Settings -> Account), and chose to sync only the CONTACTS. 




That's it. The contacts are now in my phone.. and they will stay 2 way synch with my Android-only GMAIL account, which is kinda neat.

Bye Bye Blackberry. I will miss the tiny red blinking light of my Blackberry.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Normally, you can not transfer contacts between two phone .Becuse the contacts are saved in SIM Card.So want to transfer ,you nedd to transfer contacts to computer .
Transfer contacts from android cell phone to PC simply

Unknown said...

ugh desktop don't work with bb9